Better Than PLA
Filaments have always been used in the 3D printing industry. A thermoplastic, it is fed into FDM 3D printers to create 3D models.
There are many types of filaments each with special properties and uses. They vary in strength, flexibility, density, durability, and ease of printing, as well as differing in heat temperatures used. Since filaments can leave waste products, it is important they are biodegradable; however not all of them are.
A Czech manufacturer of filaments, Fillamentum, in collaboration with the Slovak University of Technology, has recently developed and showcased its first filament that is made up of entirely bio-renewable sources.
NonOlien has the following features and advantages that give it an edge over other available filaments:
- It is completely biodegradable in domestic composting units within just 90 days
- It can be recycled several times without loss of functional properties
- It is primarily characterized by its high strength, toughness, and hardness
- It is made from a blend of PLA and PHB for improved toughness and temperature resistance
- It offers a temperature resistance of up to 110°C
- It is as easy to print as PLA
- It addresses the issues of sustainability and recyclability
- It is ecologically-friendly because it does not leave behind microplastics
- It decomposes about three times as fast as PLA due to the PHB component
- It has a natural silk look, safe for food contact applications and is washable
Fillamentum has showcased its new NonOilen filament at the Expo 2020 in Dubai. The company claimed that their new product is a whole new generation of materials developed with sustainability and eco- friendliness even at the start of its inception.
Different Filaments For Different Uses
3D Composites uses a wide variety of filaments depending on your needs and specifications. If you have an idea for a 3D model, we have the options that will meet your needs.